Saturday, August 23, 2014

#1 Songs on My Birthday: 2007-2013

Welcome to the fourth and final installment--here are installments one, two and three.

Let's do this and cross our fingers that there are no more American Idol songs on my birthday.

5/26/07 T-Pain featuring Yung Joc "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"
6/9/07 Rihanna featuring Jay-Z "Umbrella"
7/28/07 Plain White T's "Hey There, Delilah"

Love this song, actually. I like enough Rihanna tracks to fill out a short hits collection, and this is probably my favorite of hers. It was on my iPod for several months. In fact, I remember this being the song playing on my iPod when I first walked to my job at the NIU bookstore.

I've not heard the T-Pain song that I know of. I'm great with the Rihanna song, but I have to cheat here a little on the Plain White T's song, because I dig it, but I'd be letting my nerd heart down if I didn't link to Son of Svengoolie's version "Hey There, Godzilla," which was once my Song of the Week. (There used to be a Rock-afire Explosion version on YouTube, but I guess it's gone.)

6/28/08 Coldplay "Viva La Vida"
7/5/08 Katy Perry "I Kissed a Girl"
8/23/08 Rihanna "Disturbia"

Katy Perry's done a couple of songs I liked. This is not one of them. It's a winking reinforcement of lesbians as objects of male fantasy, treats bisexuality as just an experimental party game for heterosexual women to play at parties, and comes from the position that girls kissing is some sort of dark, pervy taboo. Grow up! And on top of that, it doesn't even sound good. It's muddy and dull. I can't believe this POS was the number one song in the country for almost two months. Lots of people love to settle. And the sad thing is, living here in college town, I heard way too many girls at loud parties in my building belting this one out like some sort of feminist anthem. Ooh, naughty! Ecch. (Oh, and the video, it's all a dream? Whew, don't worry, Middle America. Your inability to deal with your girl-on-girl fantasies are all just a liberating fantasy!)

Anyway, yeah, don't dig it.

I don't love the Rihanna song, but I'll take that over the Coldplay. "Viva La Vida" is where a not-unpleasant MOR group of sensitive guys went the full U2 ego trip. It does have a pretty melody that was more or less ripped off from Cat Stevens... can I pick "Foreigner Suite"?

4/18/09 The Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow"
7/11/09 The Black Eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling"
10/17/09 Jay Sean featuring Li'l Wayne "Down"

Holy shit, were the Black Eyed Peas really so popular that they had two consecutive number one songs that held the top spot for six months? Half a year of the Black Eyed Peas? I can barely take them for five minutes. I had no idea.

Am I happy with this song? Not really, but it's better than the other one, and I don't know the Jay Sean song at all.

Wow, crazy. Crazy.

5/22/10 Eminem "Not Afraid"
6/19/10 Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg "California Gurls"
7/31/10 Eminem featuring Rihanna "Love the Way You Lie"

Now this Katy Perry song I love. This is the sort of vacuous, bouncy, fun pop song that I love in the summer. It's like candy. Dig the colorful video. Great stuff, plus it keeps Eminem away from my birthday. Thanks, Katy.

7/9/11 Pitbull featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Hayer "Give Me Everything"
7/16/11 LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett & GoonRock "Party Rock Anthem"
8/27/11 Katy Perry "Last Friday Night (TGIF)"

Eh, it's okay. I don't know the Pitbull song, but I'm sure I don't like it, because it has Pitbull on it. I don't remember anything about the Katy Perry song, except that Rebecca Black's in it. "Party Rock Anthem" is the first song on here that really makes me feel old, because I heard that song more on commercials than anywhere else. Like I said, it's an okay song.

4/28/12 Gotye featuring Kimbra "Somebody That I Used to Know"
6/23/12 Carly Rae Jepsen "Call Me Maybe"
8/25/12 Flo Rida "Whistle"

It's alright. It's one of those songs that's everywhere for half a year and then it's gone and then you hear it a couple of years later and think, you know, that was kind of nice and it makes you feel weirdly nostalgic for the time period, even if it's only two summers ago. (And it did yield a great parody of the song from Cookie Monster, which made my Pop Culture 50 list that year, I believe.)

I don't really know the Flo Rida song, or at least I just don't remember it. I like the Gotye song, or as Becca insists on calling it, "that Goatse song," but I'm okay with Carly Rae, actually.

5/18/13 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton "Can't Hold Us"
6/22/13 Robin Thicke featuring TI & Pharrell "Blurred Lines"
9/14/13 Katy Perry "Roar"

Controversy for my birthday. The song that Robin Thicke claims is about celebrating and liberating women... I guess through degrading them? I don't know. Everything I like about the song really comes from Marvin Gaye, doesn't it? It just makes me want to listen to Marvin Gaye. Or the Weird Al parody. Or this mash-up, which makes the original version sound emptier. Needed some sax.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the Macklemore song, but I just don't dig Macklemore, so I never remember any of it. The Katy Perry song is alright. I'd pick Perry.

The website I've been using ends in February of this year, so I'll end with 2013. It looks like the number one song this summer was one Iggy Azalea song or another, which, ick.

So we end with that.

Side note: in the lyrics of "Blurred Lines," I always feel like I hear the words "wrapped in plastic, you'll get wrapped in plastic." That song has creepy intent, man.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I HATE Blurred Lines. Feels like a date rape song. LOVE the Weird Al version, though.

Really liked Call Me Maybe, maybe because 2012 was the first year I actually recognized more than one song. Nice summer tune.

SamuraiFrog said...

I had the songs playing while I wrote the entries, and after I wrote "The song that Robin Thicke claims is about celebrating and liberating women... I guess through degrading them?" I hear him literally sing "Let me liberate you" followed by "That man is not your maker." So, cheat with me to prove your independence is the message?

Yeah, it's a date rape song.